Surrey’s only large 18th century church, it has fine brickwork as is a perfectly proportioned example of the Palladian style. It is built on the site of a medieval church which was destroyed when the tower suddenly collapsed during alterations to remove the columns in the church. Some monunments were transfered, among them the tomb of George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury dating from 1640.
The existing interior dates from 1888 when the apse and chancel were added by Sir A.W. Blomfield. The interior was completely gutted leaving just the gallery at the west end and is one enormous room.