|Marlyn’s was threatened with demolition via a planning application that was overturned in 2018. The building has now been locally listed.|
Marlyn’s and Marlyn’s Cottage are both very old buildings. They appeared on the Tithe Maps of 1838 and there are references to property on the site back to the 17th century. At the rear of Marlyn’s Cottage are some old bread ovens, which were probably part of the farm owned by William Francis Pimm in the early 1800s. Too often old buildings have been demolished rather than renovated, such as the Tudor cottages on Burpham Lane, that were part of Green Man Farm in the 18th century and demolished in 1971, and if this continues to happen then we will lose the historic look of the area. Along the London Road we still have New Inn Farmhouse, a late Tudor building, and a number of Victorian cottages, the old forge and the Marlyn’s/Marlyn’s Cottage estate. So much else has been lost and modern buildings put up in their place.