Burchatts Farm at the far end of Stoke Park is the new home for the Guildford Chiropractic Centre (http://www.guildfordchiropractic.co.uk/ ) from 2020. The building was purchase by the Guildford Council in 1925. The cottages and Barn are Grade II listed (Click here for the Historic England listings for the cottage and barn)
The enormous piece of land known as Stoke Park was purchased by a visionary but even more cash strapped Guildford Borough Council back in the 1920s. The aim was to keep some open space in the town centre at a time when suburbs were spreading out in all directions. Lord Onslow sold to the Guildford Corporation in 1925 for £42,500.
The 1995 Ordnance Survey map shows the farm alone on the land now occupied by Stoke Park but surrounded by farm buildings. According to the listing the red brick in Flemish bond farm cottages are 18th century but possibly on an earlier core. There are two casement windows on the first floor
In 1990 the Council restored the barn and fitted out the farmhouse for functions. It was opened by the Mayor and has been an enjoyable venue for weddings, parties, corporate events etc.
In 2017 the Council reviewed the benefits of many of its assets and decided to close the building for public hire and lease it. The decision was unpopular and there was a lot of discussion about the building acquired for the town in perpetuity. This has been clarified. It was safeguarded under the Guildford Corporation Act 1926, but safeguard was repealed under the Surrey Act 1985. In principle Buchatts Farm Barn was acquired along with Stoke Park for the people of Guildford to enjoy and to save part of the town from development. In practice the Council is under no legal obligation to continue this.
In 2020 the new lease was signed with the Guildford Chiropractic Centre.