This is a WordPress site. I wanted to create something simple and find out how useful it would be. These notes are to help me maintain the site but might be useful to anyone wishing to do something similar.
The following is to allow me to maintain the site
Colour scheme: Aqua RGB: 55,129,175 Hex: #3781AF
Thumbnails: 400×300 ie 12×9 in proportion
Headings – use headings block. H3 for headings within the page
Created in 2001 WordPress is a free, open-source website creation tool designed by a large community of on-line programmers. It uses a language call PHP and all pages and data are stored in a database call MySQL. It is a very popular tool and an easy way to get a web site set up.
Having uploaded WordPress core files onto you website, you can easily customise the look of your site and the way it works by installing “plugins”. These are bits of code other people have already created to make it easy for everyone else.
These notes will give you an idea of what needs to be done but they are just notes. I recommend buying a book or using on-line articles for the details. I am a book person and purchased WordPress for Dummies by Lisa Sabine-Wilson (8th Edition).
The main steps to get started are:
- Buy a web address: There are loads of people who sell web addresses (properly called domain names). e.g. godaddy.com, register.com.
- You also need to find someone who will host your website (and in fact they can probably help with step 1). I use zen.co.uk
- Finally, you need to download and install WordPress. This is easy to do but you need to follow the instructions on the WordPress site or invest in a book like I did
Building your site
Once you have installed all the core files you can ignore them for the most part. Most of the configuration takes place in the Admin console which you can reach by putting wp-admin.php at the end of your domain name e.g. http://www.mywebsite.co.uk/wp-admin.php.
Out of the box, WordPress allows you to create pages and posts and they will be displayed on your home page. However, you don’t want your site to look like every other WordPress site. To change it you just have to install your first Plugin. There are loads of free plugins and even more if you want to pay for one. I wanted to write lots of articles so I chose “The Post Grid” plugin.
This article explains how to add a search box to a WordPress site
Jump points (links within page)
You have to add HMTL code see this article:
You add a link as follows:
Edit the post
- Edit the post
- Click on the three virtical dots at top right of page and select Code Editor
- Add a link (<a href=”#unique-name”>Your Link Text</a>)in the relevant section where #unique-name is the name of the link you will jump to. ie the name in the code you will add.
- At the destination add the destination code e.g. <a name=”unique-name”>Target Text</a>. NOTE: you can link <a name=”unique-name”></a>
Click on the three virtical dots at top right of page
<a href="#unique-name">Your Link Text</a>
Add Document, JPG or PDF outside page
Sometimes you want to add a PDF document or a large image that does not fit on your page ie you want the user to have the option to open it full screen. All you have to do is click on on Add Media when you open a create a block on the screen. You can then upload your document to the Media Library and a link will appear on the page